Understand how to effectively investigate, analyze, and retrieve data from iOS, Android, and Windows devices and explore a variety of mobile forensics tools
- Perform simple to complex mobile forensics techniques
- Retrieve and analyze data stored not only on mobile devices but also in the cloud and other connected mediums
- Learn to apply mobile forensics on popular mobile platforms by exploring real-life scenarios, and useful tips, tricks, and caveats
Mobile phone forensics involves investigating and extracting data through a systematic approach. With this book, you'll explore different mobile forensics tools and data recovery techniques.
You'll discover up-to-date mobile platforms and the most recent techniques for investigating mobile devices. As you progress, you'll delve into mobile forensics techniques for devices using iOS 9-11, Android 7-8, and Windows 10. Next, the book will guide you through the latest open source and commercial mobile forensics tools, which will enable you to analyze and retrieve data effectively. In later chapters, you will learn how to inspect and retrieve data from the cloud, and even document and prepare reports of your investigations.
By the end of this book, you will be well-versed with the current operating systems and have learned relevant techniques to recover data from mobile devices with the help of open source solutions.
What you will learn
- Discover new techniques in practical mobile forensics
- Understand the architecture and security mechanisms of iOS and Android platforms
- Identify sensitive files on iOS and Android platforms
- Understand how to set up a forensic environment
- Extract data from iOS and Android platforms
- Recover data on iOS and Android platforms
- Get to grips with the forensics of Windows devices
- Explore a variety of third-party application techniques and data recovery techniques
Who this book is for
If you are a forensics professional and are looking to add mobile forensics to your skillset, then this book is for you. Basic understanding of digital forensics practices will be helpful.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Mobile Forensics
- Understanding the Internals of iOS Devices
- Data Acquisition from iOS Devices
- Data Acquisition from iOS Backups
- iOS Data Analysis and Recovery
- iOS Forensic Tools
- Understanding Android
- Android Forensic Setup and Pre-Data Extraction Techniques
- Android Data Extraction Techniques
- Android Data Analysis and Recovery
- Android App Analysis, Malware, and Reverse Engineering
- Windows Phone Forensics
- Parsing Third-Party Application Files